|The Human BrainRunning Time: 0:29:00|
The Chemical Nature of the Brain
The Structure of the Brain
Neuroimaging, Neuroplasticity and Higher Neural Substrates
- 1.) The Chemical Nature of the Brain
- 00:09:57This chapter, The Chemical Nature of the Brain, includes information on neurons, neurotransmitters, axons, dendrites, chemical messengers, excitatory neurotransmitters, glutamate, inhibitory neurotransmitters, gaba or gamma-aminobutyric acid.
- 2.) The Structure of the Brain
- 00:03:03Understanding how drugs affect the brain is one of the major challenges of the neuroscience of addiction and it involves understanding the brain's many structures, including the cerebrum, cerebral cortex, cerebrum, corpus callosum, hemispheres, cerebellum, amygdala, hippocampus, nucleus accumbens and the ventral tegmental area.
- 3.) Brain Systems
- 00:02:23This chapter, The Structure of the Brain, includes information on the somatic nervous system, autonomic nervous system, brain, spinal cord, excitatory transmitters and acetylcholine.
- 4.) Neuroimaging, Neuroplasticity and Higher Neural Substrates
- 00:08:52This chapter, Neuroimaging, Neuroplasticity and Higher Neural Substrates includes information on lesions, brain centers, functional magnetic resonance imaging or fMRI, MRI, neural networks, Wernicke's area, Broca's area, neuroplasticity, B.F. Skinner, James Olds, Peter Milner, the ventral tegmental area, the prefrontal cortex, the hypothalamus and the thalamus.
|Drugs of AbuseRunning Time: 0:29:00|
The History of Psychoactive Drugs
The Effects of Psychoactive Drugs
The Addiction Effect
Culture and Law
- 1.) The History of Psychoactive Drugs
- 00:11:36This chapter, The History of Psychoactive Drugs, includes information on psychoactive drugs, opium, heroin, alcohol, marijuana, cannabis, THC, cannabidiol, codeine, morphine, cocaine, amphetamine and methamphetamine.
- 2.) The Effects of Psychoactive Drugs
- 00:02:29This chapter, The Effects of Psychoactive Drugs, includes information on stimulants, sedatives, hallucinogens, opiates, caffeine, amphetamine, alcohol, barbiturates, tranquilizers, LSD, peyote, PCP, Psilocybin, nicotine, marijuana and antidepressants.
- 3.) The Addiction Effect
- 00:06:13This chapter, The Addiction Affect, includes information on withdrawal and co-dependence.
- 4.) Culture and Law
- 00:02:52This chapter, Culture and Law, includes information on Caffeine, alcohol, heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, recreational drugs and the stigma of drug addiction.
|Drugs in the BrainRunning Time: 0:29:00|
The Pleasure Circuit
Neurotransmitters and Drugs of Abuse
Dopamine and Addiction
- 1.) Animal Models
- 00:05:55This chapter, Animal Models, includes information on drugs of abuse, heroin, cocaine, alcohol, nicotine, methamphetamines, ecstasy, James Olds, Peter milner, Robert Heath and animal research.
- 2.) The Pleasure Circuit
- 00:05:45This chapter, The Pleasure Circuit, includes information on the reward circuit, brain circuitry, the ventral tegmental area or VTA, dopamine, dopaminergic pathways, nucleus accumbens, amygdala, acetylcholine, GABA, glutamate, norepinephrine, serotonin and dopamine.
- 3.) Neurotransmitters and Drugs of Abuse
- 00:06:55This chapter, Neurotransmitters and Drugs of Abuse, includes information on neurotransmitter, neurotransmitters, drugs of abuse, addictive behavior, synapses, heroin, opium, cocaine, cannabis, marijuana, neurotransmission, THC, anandamide, cannabinoid, alcohol, dopamine, GABA, gamma amino butyric acid and glutamate.
- 4.) Dopamine and Addiction
- 00:04:25This chapter, Dopamine and Addiction, includes information on the nucleus accumbens, neurotransmitters and the incentive salience hypothesis of addiction.
|Overcoming AddictionRunning Time: 0:29:00|
Addiction, Dependence and Tolerance
The Allure of Drugs of Abuse
Recovery and Treatments
- 1.) Addiction, Dependence and Tolerance
- 00:05:12This chapter, Addiction, Dependence and Tolerance, includes information on physical dependence, tolerance, withdrawal symptoms and drugs of abuse.
- 2.) The Allure of Drugs of Abuse
- 00:09:47This chapter, The Allure of Drugs of Abuse, includes information on neurotransmitters, teen addiction, physical abuse, sexual abuse, the dorsal striatum, the nucleus accumbends, dendrites, neurons, marijuana, alcohol, prescription painkillers, cocaine, methamphetamines and ecstasy.
- 3.) Recovery and Treatments
- 00:07:54This chapter, Recovery and Treatments, includes information on drug therapy, light recreational users, heavy users, addicts, getting clean, withdrawal, the twelve step program, Alcoholics Anonymous or AA, and the harm reduction model.
|Directions for the FutureRunning Time: 0:29:00|
Beyond the Pleasure Circuit
Challenges and Mysteries
- 1.) Beyond the Pleasure Circuit
- 00:10:01This chapter, Beyond the Pleasure Circuit, includes information on the pleasure circuit, reward circuit, mesolimbic dopamine pathway, pleasure pathway, ventral tegmental area or VTA, the nucleus accumbens, the limbic system, the prefrontal cortex, dopamine, the incentive salience hypothesis, the substantia nigra, the ventral striatum, the dorsal striatum, cortical basal ganglia thalamic circuitry, and drugs of abuse and the cortex.
- 2.) Process Addiction
- 00:05:59This chapter, Process Addiction, includes information on sex addition, gambling, eating disorders like bulimia and anorexia, hoarding, attachment circuits, reward circuits, dopamine circuits and opioid circuits, behavioral addictions and non-substance related disorders.
- 3.) Challenges and Mysteries
- 00:07:04This chapter, Challenges and Mysteries includes information on addiction, the brain, neuroscience, PET scan or Positron Emission Tomography, environmental triggers, the incentive salience circuit, neurocircuitry, depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and drug addiction.