Program 1: Origins establishes a foundation for understanding not only Islam’s 1400-year dramatic rise to become the world’s fastest-growing religion in the 21st century, but its revolutionary movements.
- 1.) Chapter 1: Beginnings
- 00:05:31This chapter, Beginnings, includes information on the Prophet Muhammad, Allah, the Quran, also known as the Koran, Mecca, Medina and the Islamic Empire.
- 2.) Chapter 2: The Fundamental Tenets
- 00:07:32This chapter, The Fundamental Tenets, includes information on the muezzin, Allah, Islamic Religion, Muslims, the Quran, also known as the Koran, Ulama, Sharia, the Prophet Muhammad, the Sunni-Shia split, the Safavid Empire, and the Ottoman Empire.
- 3.) Chapter 3: Growth, Spread and Empires
- 00:08:57This chapter, Growth, Spread and Empires, includes information on the Prophet Muhammad, the Arabian Peninsula, the Persian Empire, the Byzantine Empire, Medina, Damascus, Baghdad, the Crusades, the Mongols, the Ottoman or Turkish Empire, and Suleiman the Magnificent.
- 4.) Chapter 4: The Wahhabi Reform Movement
- 00:05:04This chapter, The Wahhabi Movement, includes information on Wahhabiism, Muhammad ibn
Program 2: Modernization and Middle Eastern Revolutionary Movements investigates the causes behind the rise of militant revolutionary, and often violent, Islamic movements led by radical Muslims.
- 1.) Chapter 1: Colonization
- 00:05:28This chapter, Colonization, includes information on the Ottoman Empire, Turkey, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Syria, Abd el-Krim, Morocco, Kurds, European powers, colonialism, Middle East, Islamic law and religious law.
- 2.) Chapter 2: The Evolution of Radical Islamic Movements
- 00:07:06This chapter, The Evolution of Radical Islamic Movements, includes information on Political Islam, Islamism, radical groups, the Muslim Brotherhood, the Ba'ath Party and Abdul Nassar, Wahhabism and Mohammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab.
- 3.) Chapter 3: The Rise of Modern Day Jihadi Movements
- 00:11:23This chapter, The Rise of Modern Day Jihadi Movements, includes information on Fundamentalist Islam, Radical Islam or Jihadi Islam, Al Qaeda, Taliban, Afghanistan, Kurds, Iran, Iraq, the Kurdish state, Hamas, Hezbollah, Lebanon, Israel, and ISIS or the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria.
- 4.) Chapter 4: The Future
- 00:03:51This chapter, The Future, includes information on Egypt, Anwar Sadat, Al-Gamaa Al-Islamiya, Islam, non-violent political change, Islamic radicalism and Muslim radicals.